Monday, July 26, 2010

Pets and Responsibility

Today's post is a little off topic, but I think it's very important to talk about.

I am an animal lover, more cats than anything, but certain dogs are alright, especially if they are trained not to jump or slobber! But, still, I can't stand to see a dog suffer any more than a cat.

Last Friday, Boyfriend got up and was leaving for work, about 5:30, and he came back inside telling me that someone had tied a dog to the utility pole in the front yard. I threw on some shoes and ran into the front yard, only to find a scared cocker spaniel tied to the pole. We quickly unchained him and put him in the backyard with our puppy to play.

When I got to work I asked all around the office trying to find a home for this poor little guy, telling his sob story of being abandoned in my yard. No one wanted him. All the no-kill shelters were full. I was beginning to panic, wondering what the fate of this sweet dog would be. I checked craigslist to see if anyone was missing a black, male cocker spaniel. No one was. Finally I placed an ad myself on craigslist and had many biters! So many people were reaching out to give him a good home.

It was such a great feeling to know he was going to be loved by a family, not chained to someone's yard. When the couple saw him for the first time, they were just so happy! I know he went to a good home.

I just don't understand how someone could do that to a pet. I'm asking you today to not just throw out your cat/dog/bird/rabbit and expect it to be ok, find it a loving home, like it deserves. My little angel cat was looking out for the dog that day and led him to my door, she knew her mama would find it a good home. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a regular thing!!

Getting a pet is like having a child, it has certain needs that must be met and in adopting that pet, you are agreeing to care for it, for life. If a situation changes are you are no longer able to care for it, please find it a home where it can be loved and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment