Thursday, July 15, 2010

Growing Up

It's funny how people change as they grow up. Some know from a very young age where they will go to college, what they'll do professionally, where they'll live and what kind of family they'll have. Then there are others, like me, who continuously struggle to find just the right path, their true passion buried deep inside.

I have friends from engineering school who "grew up" to be chefs or photographers or national wine producers; none of which has to do with engineering. We all thought we knew what we wanted to be, and somewhere along the line, things changed. As we grew up and matured, we realized we have the whole world to play with, nothing is off limits. If we don't like one thing or idea or place, we can change it. We were raised to believe that we can be anything we want to be, do anything we want to do, and sometimes, at the tender age of 18, our idea of a perfect career isn't going to be the same idea we have at 28.

I thought my passion was NASA, the stars, outer space, and part of me is still deeply in love with the night sky, watching 2 Space Shuttle launches were 2 of the best moments of my life and I don't regret the path I chose because it led me meet countless astronauts and send 18 crews of astronauts into space, that's a huge honor for me to have been a part of. But I'm not fulfilled. Sitting behind a desk all day in an office building full of grumpy old men is not what I had in mind. I don't have an engineer's mind, I don't think technically and mathematically. I'm a daydreamer, more abstract.

I'm sure I'll change my mind a few more times in my life about what I want to be when I grow up, but for now, I want to see
Kitty's Vintage turn into a huge success. I love filling my home with incredible vintage furniture and clothing and dishes, spying the perfect piece under a pile of rubble gets my heart racing. This is my passion, at least for right now. I will soon have the time to see this venture grow, put all my time and effort into this business and hopefully see it blossom. I'd love to someday see it explode into a retail store, not just online. But for now, I'm ready to take on the online world, full time, and see how it goes. I may not have the full support of a few important people, but so many of my friends are behind me, wishing me luck and sending me perfectly worded emails at just the right time to turn my day around (thanks Shefy!) I don't see how I can fail.

The move to the new place has begun, and hopefully it'll continue smoothly so when my last day at NASA rolls around, I'll be armed and ready to dive in head first for this new life and adventure I'm about to embark on.

No comments:

Post a Comment