Friday, July 9, 2010

Patriotism

I know Independence Day was almost a week ago, but I've realized this topic is something that most Americans don't pay attention to. And that's sad.

Ever since I started dreaming about my dream house, it always had a lighted flag pole in the front yard. I still don't own my dream house, but I have proudly flown flags at all the residences I could (not much you can do in an apartment, although, I did put mini flags in my TV speakers!) My neighbor has 2 flag poles, one in the front yard and one in the back. I even have a flag tacked to the bulletin board behind my computer here at work.

I have always harped on my parents for not putting up a flag, which they still don't have, but I was going through some old family photos with my mom and found one of her mother, my Grandma Pinky, holding a flag she'd gotten as a birthday present. She looks so beautiful and so proud to have that flag. I guess that's one quality she passed on to me, patriotism.

I think in the last few decades, since I've been alive really, the United States has really taken a downturn. Sure, patriotism soared after 9-11, but we shouldn't have to wait for a national tragedy for pride for this country to resurface! In this country's hay-day, the 1940s-1950s, everything was American made, everyone was proud of what the did for a living, everyone contributed and no one just expected handouts. Meals were served at home, television programs were PG and kids said things like "golly gee" instead of cursing before kindergarten. Women were modestly dressed, unlike most of what I see today, apparently regardless of size! Little girls weren't wearing "denim underwear" as I call it and actually enjoyed time at home, with their parents.

I'm in the process of moving to an 800 square foot early 1950s mill-worker's house. It'll cause me a lot of down sizing, lots of purging, but I can't be more excited to get back to the basics of living, not judging worth in amounts of stuff buried in cabinets and drawers never to see the light of day, but actually choosing the things that are worthy of moving on to this next stage of life with me and letting go of the rest. Simple living, simple mindset in a not-so-simple time. At least in my house I'll know what's important, family, friends, pets, and my American flag flying proudly out front!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog and your comments...I feel terrible that I still haven't visited all of my followers yet. I'm glad the flag post resonated with you and that you're going to display one. It's true that patriotism has really taken a hit in this country the past few years.

    And, oh yeah, your kitties are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete