Friday, March 4, 2011

Vintage Recipes

A few days ago I picked up a cookbook called Favorite Recipes of America: Vegetables from 1968. I'm only a few recipes in, reading not cooking, and some of the directions and ingredients just amaze me, so I thought I'd share!

A recipe for Asparagus Bearnaise calls for 1.5 tsp of MSG! This makes me smile because we've all but irradicated MSG and this recipe actually calls for it!

A recipe for Baked Green Beans and Mushrooms calls for 1/3 soup can milk. This threw me for a second. I was thinking, I've never heard of "soup can milk," then I realized this was the measuring device. I use things like that all the time, I've just never seen it in a cookbook! Another recipe for Cheesy Green Beans wants you to use 1 #303 can cut green beans. I'm sure we don't still have #303 cans, but I like that it's so specific

Here is a recipe that sounds completely terrible

Peas Chambourd

1 17oz. can peas with onions, drained
1/2 c. catsup
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese

Combine peas and onions with catsup, salt and pepper in greased casserole. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes

That just does not sound appetizing!

And here is a recipe that sounds simply divine!

Pineapple Honey

pineapple
1/8 c. lemon juice
7.5 c. sugar
butter
1/2 bottle Certo or 1/2 pack other pectin

Grind pineapple medium-fine, not to pulp. Measure 4 cups pineapple juice into a large saucepan. Add lemon juice and sugar. Add small amount of butter. Bring to a full rolling boil; boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; immediately stir in Certo. Skim off foam with metal spoon. Stir or skim for 5 minutes to cool slightly to prevent floating fruit. Ladle into glasses. Cover with paraffin

I guess that's all for now. I plan on trying out some of these recipes soon, so I'll let you know how they turn out!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment