Saturday, October 30, 2010

My Little Obsession

I have a confession, my name is Megan and I'm addicted to Pyrex! All colors, all styles, all patterns. Before I decided to streamline my kitchen, I had many colors and patterns of mixing bowls and bakeware. Some of my favorites I was unwilling to part with, even though they don't match my turquoise and red kitchen.

In my quest to find and own each Pyrex pattern, I have turned to the smallest item they offer, mugs. There are 2 types of mugs, "D" handles and "C" handles. The D handles are larger, more like a coffee cup while the C handles are more like tea cups. I have 8 tea cups and 5 coffee mugs and I'm looking to expand!

For those of you who don't know much about the Pyrex brand, here's some history:

The idea for Pyrex Glassware came from the industrious wife of a Corning Glass Works scientist who was frustrated with her unreliable casserole dish. Knowing the strength of the railroad signal lantern glass her husband worked with, she begged him to bring home something she could use in the kitchen. VoilĂ , the Pyrex baking dish was born. Two years later, Boston department store Jordan Marsh placed the first order for Pyrex Glassware. The rest, as they say, is history.

According to Barbara E. Mauzy’s Pyrex: The Unauthorized Collectors Guide, there are 3 basic types of collectible Pyrex: Clear Pyrex Ovenware (introduced in 1915), Pyrex Flameware (1936 - 1979) and Pyrex Colors (1947 - ?). Of the three types, most people are familiar with the Colored Pyrexware because it is very distinct and there is a considerable amount of it still being used in households.

And, all Pyrex Glassware is made in the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment