Monday, May 16, 2011

Movie Monday

I'm starting a new weekly series: Movie Monday!

I've watched several old movies in the last few days, but today I watched East of Eden from 1955.





This was my first James Dean film, believe it or not! He's very handsome and the modern day Channing Tatum reminds me of him. The movie was based on the novel by John Steinbeck, which I haven't read, so I didn't know what to expect.





Cal Trask (James Dean) sees himself as the black sheep of the family and is always competing with his twin brother Aron, who seems to be perfect in the eyes of their father. Cal desperately wants the love and affection from his father that Aron receives. The year is 1917 and we see the tumultuous times leading up to America's entry into World War I. Cal discovers that his mother is alive - the boys were told she had died - and lives only a few miles away in Monterey, CA. This helps him realize that he is just like his mother, which is why his father treated him differently from his brother, who took after their father.





His father loses most of his fortune trying to ship refrigerated lettuce to New York, so Cal decides to speculate on a crop of beans to pay his father back for the money he'd lost on the lettuce. He makes a small fortune, but he soon realizes that he can't buy his father's loves either. After a disasterous birthday party for their father, Aron, Cal and their father's lives all take very different turns.



I enjoyed this movie, much more than the one I watched yesterday (A Mouse on the Moon)! I loved the leading lady's name, Abra, I thought it was very unique and quite pretty. She was played by Julie Harris. I'd compare her looks to a modern Cynthia Nixon.



Have you seen the movie? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment